QCOSTARICA byMitzi Stark – In sight of the busy highway on the way to Atenas and Jacó the remnants of an old stone wall can barely be seen from the windows of a car or bus this was once a very important part of the history of Costa Rica.
This is the Old Customs Building. (The Old Customs shed in San Jose is now a show room for fairs and events).
As a highway patrol and quarters for soldiers, the site was used as long ago as 1770 but the buildings, a customs house and home for a platoon of soldiers was built under the presidency of Braulio Carrillo in the 1840’s. The building was made of stone and measured about 80 feet by 160 feet and

… continue reading article at QCOSTARICA.com Click here to go to the source article.